Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 5: Favorite Quote

"Most people don't understand me... 

I don't blame them. People like to misunderstand more often than they would like to understand."



This is my favorite quote... I made it up a few days back while I was thinking about my bipolar disorder.



Animals know what other animals are thinking... I don't see why humans (with our big brains and heart) can not.

I realized that while my goal has always been to understand people-- ask questions to know how their minds work-- some people (even family sometimes) really just choose not to sympathize.

I don't think that they have the inability to feel other people's pain. They just choose not to put themselves in that person's shoes... Or sometimes they're so overly self-righteous that they say things like "oh but if I was in her shoes, I'd be doing it so much better!".

But the funny thing is... with their inability to sympathize, they expect the world to mourn with their pain. Those that refuse to feel the discomfort (that others feel) are usually the once who cry out the hardest when they have the smallest of problems.

By sympathize, I don't mean you offer it to just about anybody. Mass murderers (while they might have had their own reasons for doing what they did) don't deserve any understanding (in my point of view) because they obviously never thought of the effect they'd have on a daughter or a son who would never have his/ her mother/father back. Whatever excuse they might have, I don't wanna hear them (see? I choose not to understand).


So who should we sympathize?


Take time to feel the pain of the little kid who has lost his mother to an abusive father...
... Or the battered wife who cannot fight back because of the obvious size disadvantage...
... Or the disheartened lawyer who wanted to fight for truth but eventually fell into the corruption that was expected of every lawyer...
... Or the person who just wants to sincerely make a difference but gets eaten up by the norms of tradition...

Everyone that understands, deserves our sympathy. Everyone that can't fight their own battles (by default) should be given a chance to have at least a weapon...



This entry goes out to every silent tear...
Every fake smile...
Every wrongful conviction...
Every broken heart...
Every hopeful child...
Every unfulfilled dream...
Every overused facade...


And every person who feels like today is the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment